The Ethel Walker School is a college preparatory school for girls in grades 6 through 12 in Simsbury, Connecticut.
Founded in 1911, the school was one of the first college preparatory schools for girls in the United States. The school sits on 300 acres (1.2 km2); an additional 300 acres (1.2 km2) of school land has been preserved as “Walker’s Woods”. The area is surrounded by forest and residential areas.
The Ethel Walker School was originally located in Lakewood, New Jersey before being moved in 1917 to its present location on the former Dodge Estate in Simsbury, Connecticut. The school’s founder, Ethel Walker, was interested in creating one of the first girls’ college preparatory schools, as an alternative to the finishing schools that were then in vogue for upper class girls.
Our Grandmother (Elizabeth Fuller Leeds (Barker) attended this school.